Mouthguards are commonly used to protect against injuries to the jaws and teeth while reveling in physical activities. They are also used to treat Bruxism. Mouthguards are custom-crafted to fit snugly in one's mouth and help in the following scenarios:
- In the case of a blow to the mouth, mouthguards provide a cushioning impact. It shields the soft tissues against lacerations.
- Mouthguards reduce the impact of dental trauma and protect the oral cavity from gashes, cracks, and fractures.
- If the chin gets a hit, it protects the jaws and teeth from unexpected seismic contact.
- Mouthguards are worn by people suffering from Bruxism to prevent the teeth from cracking and breaking due to involuntary clenching of teeth.
Why should one choose custom mouthguards?
Custom mouthguards are crafted for an individual using the impressions of his mouth for a perfect fit. One may face any of the following problems with mouthguards that are not custom-designed:
- Regular mouthguards are too bulky and uncomfortable. They are unable to protect the impact zones in your mouth.
- Regular mouthguards often have too much material in the free flow space of the mouth like the roof of your mouth, and the area behind the second molars block speech and reduce comfort. The material in these areas is unnecessary and causes difficulty in breathing and speaking, which affects your performance.
- Regular mouthguards are ill-fitting. An ill-fitting mouthguard floats in the mouth and causes extreme discomfort. A mouthguard needs to fit the specific structure of your mouth to provide proper protection and comfort.
These are the reasons why one should get a custom-made mouthguard from a dentist for a perfect fit. If your mouthguard becomes loose, your dentist will make the required adjustments by trimming it to ensure that it fits smoothly and securely in your mouth.
Historic Hyde Park Dentistry has been transforming smiles for Decades. Dr. Lori, along with her team, uses state-of-the-art technology to dental problems and reconstruct malaligned teeth to provide aesthetic and healthy smiles. For inquiries & appointments, please reach out to us at 813-253-3041. You can also visit our office at 612 West De Leon Street, in Tampa, FL 33606.