Dentures are the most commonly used dental restoration for replacing missing teeth. They consist of artificial teeth attached to a pink base. The artificial teeth mimic the natural teeth, while the pink base mimics the gum tissues. Dentures are custom-designed for each patient to fit snugly over the gum line. They can be used to replace a few or all the teeth on a dental arch. Based on this there are two types of dentures:
Full dentures or complete dentures are used when all the teeth on a dental arch require replacement. Complete dentures can be either immediate or conventional.
Partial dentures are used when not all but a few teeth on any dental arch need replacement. They consist of artificial teeth attached to a pink-colored base. The backs of the dentures are connected to metal frameworks that are attached to the neighboring teeth and keep the dentures in place.
What are the benefits of dentures?
Some of the most prominent benefits of dentures are as follows:
- Dentures can replace a few or all the teeth on a dental arch.
- They are removable and can be removed as when according to the patient's will.
- They restore a patient's confidence and self-esteem by filling in the unsightly gaps left by tooth loss.
- As the gaps left by missing teeth are filled, the patient's chewing ability improves.
- Dentures also correct and improve speech.
- They are the most cost-effective and the most affordable when it comes to replacing missing teeth.
Historic Hyde Park Dentistry has been transforming smiles for Decades. Dr. Lori, along with her team, uses state-of-the-art technology to dental problems and reconstruct malaligned teeth to provide aesthetic and healthy smiles. For inquiries & appointments, please reach out to us at 813-253-3041. You can also visit our office at 612 West De Leon Street, in Tampa, FL 33606.