Laser dentistry is an advanced method for the treatment of various dental concerns and conditions. We’re happy to offer multiple laser dental procedures to help patients achieve greater oral health.
What Is Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry is a minimally-invasive alternative to traditional dental procedures. Through the use of highly precise laser technology, we’re able to complete dental treatments without the use of cutting and drilling instruments.
All lasers work by delivering energy in the form of light. When used for surgical and dental procedures, the laser acts as a cutting instrument, safely penetrating oral tissue. The laser that we use for dental procedures has a very small, concentrated beam to accurately target the treatment area. It’s able to remove or modify oral tissue to treat dental problems.
What Can Laser Dentistry Be Used to Treat?
Our laser may be used to:
- Recontour the gum tissue (gingival curettage) around a tooth where decay spreads below the gum line
- Treat lip and mouth ulcers
- Prepare teeth for dental fillings and crowns
- Treat sensitive teeth by closing off tubules at the roots of the teeth
- Recontour gum tissue that covers too much of the tooth
- Whiten the teeth
- Remove soft tissue folds that form from poorly fitting dentures
What Are the Benefits of Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry offers several benefits when compared to traditional dental procedures:
- Laser dental procedures cause less pain and discomfort than traditional dental procedures. With a laser, there’s less bleeding involved in soft tissue treatments.
- The laser sterilizes the treatment area, which lowers the risk of infection after a procedure.
- Laser dentistry allows for dental procedures to be performed without a disruptive drilling noise.
- The recovery time for laser procedures is shorter than that of traditional treatments. For example, treating lip and mouth ulcers with the laser results in a quick healing time of only 24 hours.
- Patients often require fewer appointments for laser procedures.
- With fewer sessions required, laser dental procedures can often be overall less expensive than traditional procedures.
- Lasers in dentistry allow for many dental procedures to be performed without drilling noise, with minimal pain, faster recovery times, and often fewer appointments.
Many patients are turning to laser dentistry to address common dental concerns. To learn more about laser dental procedures, contact us today.